Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday Morning Update!

Monday Morning Update!

Well, I guess technically, it’s Monday afternoon. At least, it is here. But, I digress.

So, status updates for me. First, let me say that I had a good week, and an even better weekend. Very productive, I got some good writing done around my housework. My current WIP, an epic fantasy project I am tentatively calling The Final Days, now has two out of three character outlines as part of the Snowflake method of outlining. After I finish the last two, I have a slew of minor characters to do at least one paragraph on. I’m actually looking forward to this, it gives me an interesting perspective of the story to see it from different eyes, and it gives me some good insight into my characters. Also, it lets me know if their individual arc in interesting. For example, I just realized that these two characters that I have written up at this point are not being tortured enough. I need to ratchet things up for them, or at least keep that in mind when working on the actual story later. So, for this reason alone, Snowflake get’s a big thumbs up from me.

And now for the big news… submissions! Yes, I have submitted my novel to an agent, on Friday. That’s right, I actually followed through, and sent out a query letter to an agent on Friday. It was amazingly scary, hitting that send button, and this one will be particularly scary, because her website says she is so busy that if she’s not interested in my story, she just won’t respond. So, no news, in this case, is bad news. I just have to let it go and see what happens, I guess. And move onto the next submission. I’ve found a magazine that I think I want to submit one of my short stories too, maybe several. I’ll let you all know how this goes next week.

My weekend was also good for some other, non-writerly reasons. My wife, son and I all went to see a puppet show this weekend at the park. It was a little corny, but the boy liked it, and that’s all that matters. We have fun, and wandered around the park in the sun for a while. Also, I had some fun experimenting with some cooking this weekend. Not that I don’t cook, I’m the cook in my house, I just did some new things. I made a chili recipe that turned out FANTASTIC. I also made some cheesy, pizza pop-corn, that also was really good. And we ended Sunday with Sloppy Joes and cheese fries. All in all, a good food weekend.

One other thing before I go. I’ve been using Scrivener for Windows since the beginning of January, and I gotta say, this program is awesome. In my current WIP, I have all my notes, my outline and the manuscript all in one file. It’s fantastic. I think a full review may be coming on Wednesday. What I will say now is that I can’t wait for this bad boy to go live, so I can purchase it.

So, until next Monday, that’s my update.

No comments:

Post a Comment