Thursday, June 23, 2011

The first ever #SciFiLitChat transcript

Here's the transcript for this week's #SciFiLitChat, the first ever! Woo! :)

----

@BlanchardAuthor: #SciFiLitChat is on! Our topic today, world building in Sci-Fi. Come join in the conversation with myself and @surferartchick.
June 23, 2011, 6:32 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: Question to Sci-Fi writers: Where do you start when world building your universe? #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:33 pm

@surferartchick: #SciFiLitChat is on! Our topic is world building in Sci-Fi. Come join the conversation!
June 23, 2011, 6:34 pm

@surferartchick: When I start building a world I start with a sketch of what I want the tone to convey. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:35 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: My world building usually starts with story needs. Do I need royalty? If so, I need to explain why. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:39 pm

@surferartchick: @BlanchardAuthor royalty? #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:41 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: Sci-Fi shares lots of world building needs with fantasy, but lots of it is unique to Sci-Fi. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:41 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: For example, dwarves and elves serve well known roles, but aliens can be made for whatever role you need. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:42 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: @surferartchick As an example. Star Wars and Dune both used royalty. It's an important question, to me. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:44 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: @Grokdad I agree that the world needs to match the characters, but it also needs to meet story needs. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:45 pm

@wrytersblockDH: @surferartchick I've seen SciFi with spaceships and royalty both. Not uncommon. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:45 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: @Grokdad Sometimes, it works better, for me at least, to have some of the setting sketched out before the actual writing. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:45 pm

@surferartchick: I try to draft the major components of tech as a secondary to the story. Sprinkling it--if you will--into the world. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:49 pm

@surferartchick: @wrytersblockDH Ah, I see. Royalty can also mean military regimes too, I get that. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:50 pm

@surferartchick: Hey @momebie what are your thoughts on world creation? #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:51 pm

@wrytersblockDH: @surferartchick Classic battleTech is a prime example of using Feudal system to rule the vast span of stars. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:51 pm

@momebie: I think it's one of my very favorite things to do. There's little more exciting than building a place from the ground up. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:53 pm

@momebie: It's why I'm trying to teach myself to draw, so that I can better visualize the things that spring into my head. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:53 pm

@surferartchick: Though, I think it is very important to set the rules of your futuristic society quickly in your work. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:53 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: I agree with @surferartchick re: Tech. I usually let story determine tech needs. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:54 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: @momebie Not a bad idea. I recommend maps for fantasy worlds, something like that for Sci-Fi could work too. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:55 pm

@surferartchick: '@momebie That's one of the tools I use when creating a world. If I can reference it later via image it keeps the world inline #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:56 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: @US_Nessie @Grokdad I try to have the world at least sketched out before I write, but I only reveal it little by little. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:57 pm

@wrytersblockDH: @blanchardauthor @momebie I've been known to draw star maps for my universe, for continuity and visualizing. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:58 pm

@wrytersblockDH: @blanchardauthor @momebie I've even had story ideas spring up from drawing and labeling my maps. It's a creative booster. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:59 pm

@momebie: .@surferartchick Yes, that's what I'm going for. Now I just have extensive word document notes and they can be hard to search. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:59 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: @wrytersblockDH @momebie It helps to have that visual. I've drawn solar system & starship maps to help me stay consistent. #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 6:59 pm

@wrytersblockDH: @blanchardauthor I've drawn ships and emblems out to help me describe them in my writing. (Built a couple out of Lego too :D) #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 7:02 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: For some reason, I'm not seeing any new posts in #SciFiLitChat... anyone else experiencing this?
June 23, 2011, 7:16 pm

@momebie: @wrytersblockDH I think what I really need for myself is a wiki. Which will come in handy when I'm Lucas big, right? ;) #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 7:19 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: @wrytersblockDH Lego's, Nice! You ever use them to create aliens? ;) #SciFiLitChat
June 23, 2011, 7:19 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: Well, gang, I gotta go back to work, so that's it for #SciFiLitChat for me. Please, keep the conversation going. It's been fun!
June 23, 2011, 7:27 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: I'm going to try and get a transcript of today's #SciFiLitChat up on my blog later today.
June 23, 2011, 7:27 pm

@BlanchardAuthor: Meanwhile, join @surferartchick and I next Thursday at 11:30am Pacific for another #SciFiLitChat.
June 23, 2011, 7:28 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment