Thursday, April 21, 2011

Having Fun Writing

As I mentioned yesterday, a couple friends of mine approached me about working with them on a shared project.

In true Christopher Blanchard form, I started taking the whole project way to seriously. I wondered about cost, about weather such a project would be viable, how would an eBook for it work, what word count should I be aiming for, blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous.

The good news is that I recognized that I was acting pretty stupid in this regard, and decided to just let go of all that and concentrate on the thing that drew me to the project in the first place.

Fun.

Because, the truth is, this is a fun project. It’s good friends that I’ve known for a long time. It’s a fun setting that one of theme created and the other two of us are adding to. And I’ve got a great idea for a story and character that I am working on developing.

So, the lesson I am taking away from this is that I should try to keep all my projects fun. Even the ones with deadlines, or that I am getting paid for. Because if it’s not fun, it’s not worth doing anymore.

3 comments:

  1. It is easy to get caught up in the doing and forget to be. An aside...remember you are a dad and husband first...writer second. Love the ones you have while you have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, that is true. And I always try to put my family first. As you said, sometimes it's easy to get caught up, though, and so I am grateful to have had this lesson. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you were acting styupidly. Just sort of "putting the cart before the horse." :)

    My opinion on self-publishing is that you create your product first, then you work on getting it out there. So, in our case, we just write our stories. Once that part is done, or at least well in process, then we start looking at how it all fits together, how to package it, and how to sell it. But, as Ken and I are avowed SLOW writers, I think it will be a bit before we get to that stage. :)

    ReplyDelete