Monday, March 21, 2011

Rough Week

Man, it really has been a rough week. And not just for me. The Earth shook, rocked Japan, and it seems to have affected everyone’s lives in various was, from small to major. For me, it’s been a series of things. The biggest one, of course, was that a friend of mine died. But, it’s been little things, too. I’ve had trouble sleeping, which I usually blame on the time change. I freaking hate Daylight Savings. My wife was sick over the weekend, and even my kid has had trouble this week, with just a general feeling of dis-ease. And I’ve heard the same from almost everyone that I know. Last week was just rough.

But in the middle of all that, or maybe at the end of it, I’m not sure, I am trying to find the positive. Because if I don’t, I’ll sink into a miasma of despair, start wondering what am I doing (either at work and quit, or at my writing and quit) and just be generally miserable.

So, here’s some positive things going on in my life.

I have a job. It doesn’t pay much, but it is sometimes the difference between eating this week and not. And there are a number of people out there that still don’t have jobs at all. So I am grateful for that.

I have a wife and child that are both healthy and both love me. I am ever grateful for that.

This weekend will be my birthday party (several weeks after the fact, but, hey, who cares? It’s a party!). We’re doing a Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy theme. No, I’m not 42, but that might make a good excuse to do it again in a few years when I am.

In a few weeks will be a gathering of local table top role playing gamers for our annual game fest. I always have a ton of fun at this, and look forward to it all year long.

I am grateful for a ton of other things, too, that may seem small and petty, but their really not. I’m grateful that our car runs. I am grateful that we have food in the house. I am grateful that I have a working computer, so I can continue writing. I am grateful that I have internet access.

I am even grateful for all of you, for putting up with me rambling on about things like this on my blog. Thanks for that!

And I am grateful for this blog for one other reason: my weekly check ins. I submitted a story proposal to a website this week, one that is doing an anthology set in a shared world. I like the setting and am excited to write something for them, so I hope they accept my proposal. We’ll see. And, I’ve managed to do some writing, no matter how small, every day this last week. I’m stoked about that, it’s the first time since December that I have.

So, there you have it. Last week was rough. But, it’s over, and now it’s time to look forward to this week.

I plan on making it decidedly not rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment