Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Writing Resolutions


Well, here we are, at the beginning of a new year. It’s that time when most people are making all kinds of resolutions, and writers are no exceptions.

I’m not really one for resolutions, however. I’ve discovered that they’re just big targets for disappointments. They hardly ever get accomplished, and they just serve as a reminder of the failure of not meeting them through the year.

However, I did feel that I needed to set some writing goals this year. Last year, while I did get in some good writing, I didn’t get in as much as I could have. Most of it, in fact, came during NaNoWriMo. The year before that, however, I managed to write one 5,000 word story a week for the whole year.

So, I thought, why is that? Well, it’s because I set myself a goal, and then set up a blog to hold myself responsible to.

So, I’ve decided to do the same thing this year. I am going to set myself a writing goal, and find some way to hold myself responsible to meet it.

And I found it the other day with this fantastic little Twitter hashtag and site started by Cara Michaels.

#WIP500


The idea is simple. Write 500 words a day for the whole year.

500. That’s not so hard. It’s about a half hour of solid writing for me.

So, that’s my plan. I’ve signed up to this sight, and plan on writing 500 words a day for the year, and will log my progress with the site above.

Thanks, Cara, for providing me with this much needed tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment